What is Engage? Engage is a dockbar based on Enlightenment Foundation Libraries. There are two version of Engage. There's a standalone version and a module version for E17. The module Engage currently works as an app-launcher, taskbar and a system tray. Click here for more detail. I install Engage on My Ubuntu Dapper Drake as a standalone version. So it's work in my Ubuntu default windowmanager (GNOME). Engage on Ubuntu Repository An easly way to install Engage:
  1. Add this following line to my /etc/apt/sources.list
  2. deb http://soulmachine.net/breezy/ unstable/
  3. Download public key from that repository
  4. wget soulmachine.net/public.key && sudo apt-key add public.key
  5. Update my repository
  6. sudo apt-get update
  7. Install Engage
  8. sudo apt-get install engage
  9. Run Engage
  10. engage
  11. Configure Engage
  12. Configure my Engage to suitable for my desktop
Install From CVS Just try to install from CVS :D I don't have experience with bash programming. So I make it by my self and It's just make easier for me to install Engage :D
  1. Install some packages required for Engage to compile properly.
  2. sudo apt-get install cvs autoconf automake1.7 gettext libtool libfreetype6-dev libjpeg62-dev libpng3-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libbz2-dev libltdl3-dev pkg-config libxine-dev libgtk1.2-dev build-essential flex bison byacc libxcursor-dev libcurl3-dev
  3. Getting the sources
  4. cd ~/ mkdir cvs cd cvs cvs -d:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/enlightenment login cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/enlightenment co e17 misc
  5. EFL’s compilation (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries)
  6. Before starting to compile, I need to add a line in the /etc/ld.so.conf file, to allow the programs to access the newly installed library (/usr/local/lib) when running ldconfig command.
    sudo -s -H echo "/usr/local/lib" >> /etc/ld.so.conf exit
    The common procedure to compile every library is:
    cd ~/cvs/e17/libs/ ./autogen.sh make sudo make install sudo ldconfig cd ~/cvs
    There are 15 libraries need to be complied (edb, eet, imlib2, imlib2_loaders, evas, ecore, epeg, embryo, edje, epsilon, esmart, emotion, etox, ewl, engrave) and locate at ~/cvs/e17/libs/.
  7. Engage compilation
  8. I just compile and install 3 applications for my Engage:
    /cvs/e17/apps/e_utils : configuration tools for E17 /cvs/e17/apps/examine : configuration tools for the applications /cvs/misc/engage : The beautiful MAC OS X style dock
Go to each directory compile and install them with standard procedure (mention above) If you feel sick to do this one by one, You can download my simple install script that will help to compile and to install all libraries and applications. If you feel Engage not suitable for you, just run this uninstall script. Download these files to ~/cvs. Configuration After all libraries and engage have been installed succesfully. We need to configure it.
  1. Make directory to our new engage. This directory will use to store our EAP files.
  2. mkdir -p ~/.e/e/applications/all
  3. Make ".order" file at ~/.e/e/applications/engage
  4. This file is simply a list of EAP files in the order we want them to show up in the bar.
    vi ~/.e/e/applications/engage/.order
You can download my EAP files and my ".order" file for example from here. You can make them by yourself (^ ^,) Addition To show analog clock and digital clock, copy either expedition.edj or digital.edj from http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/enlightenment/misc/engage/ to ~/.e/apps/engage/sysicons. Perhaps You need to create sysicons directory. External link
  1. Enlightenment
  2. Engage on Dapper
  3. Enlightenment DR17 HOWTO
Any suggestion will be appreciate. Thx anyway and sorry for my English :"> -- me, sUpricak3p

2 Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi. You might want to check back at http://www.macewan.org/2006/03/17/howto-install-e17-on-ubuntu-dapper/#comment-9143 as I've posted a follow-up. Follow the link on my post to get the whole thing.

Kill_J0y
Sudo said…
Kill_J0y,

Thank for your help.
Previous Post Next Post